Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

North Admiral

I spotted a lot of people walking dogs and pushing strollers and even more people with coffee cups in their hands as I walked near the junction of California and Admiral in the North Admiral neighborhood this morning. I walked 6.7 miles along streets between SW Hill and SW Stevens Streets from 41st to 48th Avenue SW.

California and Admiral are both commercial streets and there are multiple family dwellings along these streets but the rest of the area is dominated by well-tended single family homes. I noticed residences attached to a Safeway supermarket and others built over a Bartell Drug store (I think the latter was a Merrill Gardens retirement facility). I also noticed a few cases of two newer homes which appeared to have replaced one older home.

I stopped in to the West Seattle Library where the annual seed exchange was in progress.

This friendly-feeling area is home to Fire Station Number 29,

Admiral Congregational United Church of Christ,

a Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall,

the Admiral Theatre,

Safeway, PCC and Metropolitan Market supermarkets, the Sanctuary, the Hiawatha Community Center,

West Seattle High School (pictured in a prior post) and Lafayette Elementary School.

Along the way, I spotted numerous restaurants, cafes and pubs, Zatz a Better Bagel, a gymnastics academy, a bike and skate/snow board store,

the West Seattle Fabric Company (I had to stop in and buy a fat quarter - the owners were very friendly),

a green center line painted along 41st Ave SW (it wasn't Saint Patrick's Day so I assume it was bike-related),

a decorated street sign pole,

artistic cross walks

and sidewalks,

signs noting West Seattle history

and the Atomic Boys sign which the business owner and I agreed was the best around (the shop looked pretty interesting too).

This is a neighborhood well worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment