Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Industrial District

Today's 9.3 mile walk took me to the Industrial District (and a few abutting streets in Georgetown). The eastern portion of my walk was home to lighter industries and was a wonder of cherry blossoms on this day before Spring.

The western portion housed heavy industry but surprised me with a lovely Port of Seattle park along the Duwamish at end of Diagonal Avenue S. Signs in the park give the history of the site which was once the largest of the delta islands produced by the Duwamish River. Recent studies indicate that people were living near here as early as the 6th century A.D.

The park shares the waterfront with a modern Federal building. I had passed the Federal Center South as I walked along E Marginal Way S but had no idea there was a modern building behind it.

A guard stopped me and asked to look at the pictures I had taken. I guess they were OK because he didn't ask me to delete any of them and wished me luck with my walking project.

Between the park and E Marginal Way, I noted stacked shipping containers which reminded me of design drawings I've seen of apartment buildings made of pre-assembled units stacked on top of each other.

The Union Pacific Railroad tracks run along E Marginal Way and the stretch that runs by the Federal building is lined with healthy-looking green hedges. Other stretches are not as nice and walking beside the tracks is not easy.

Nearby, I spotted the large Seadrunar Recycling facility, Arena Sports, Bartell and Whole Foods Distribution Centers, Ash Grove Cement,

the Habitat for Humanity Home Improvement Outlet Store (I stopped inside - they appeared to have some good deals)

and a large facility that appeared to be for sale.

Back on the streets between E Marginal Way and 6th Avenue S, I saw a real mix of residential, commercial and industrial. The Seattle Design Center and the Sharehouse (pictured in a prior post) live along side Iridio,

a few small houses,

some empty houses,

gardens

and some really big pot holes.

Along the way, I observed art work at the Vac Shop, 3R Technology where eWaste can be dropped off for free,

Hudson (diner) next to the Georgetown Morgue (with signs for a KUBE haunted house).

Today, I chatted with some friendly people who prepared me to walk their neighborhood (near Seward Park) where no streets showed on my map but which has city-maintained pathways. I asked talked with the owner of Oasis Water Gardens, while admiring her offerings.




Another great walk full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment