Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Holly Park and South Beacon Hill

After this fourth walk through New Holly, I think I have walked all its streets. Today's 11.3 mile walk took me from I-5 to Martin Luther King Jr Way between Myrtle and Kenyon. The southeastern section of New Holly is still tidy even if not as spacious feeling as the sections to its north and west.

I passed Central Park, noting that some of the houses on the eastern side could use a cleaning or a paint job,

the street on the west side of the park is private (I suspect because the houses have no garages or alley parking - in fact there appeared to be another row of housing in the alley behind these houses - I'm not sure why Lyon Court and Austin Street are also private roads)

and the New Holly Market Garden (where, in season, gardeners living in the community market their produce) at the north end of the park.

 I passed a few small street-end parks,

a basketball court,

the Harry Thomas Community Center at Lee House

and, on Othello, the services I had been anticipating including the ICHS Holly Park Medical and Dental Clinic, Hope Central Pediatrics Behavioral Health, Union Gospel Mission's Hope Place (housing a youth outreach center and Seattle Urban Academy), a City of Seattle Department of Neighborhoods office, the Othello Halal Market and Cafe, a Safeway and a Bank of America branch.

There were two large vacant lots on MLK Jr Way just south of Othello; the larger had a For Sale sign - I wonder what will be built here at the Othello Light Rail Station.

Adjacent to New Holly is the colorful Samaki Commons built by the Interim Community Development Association. Nearby are the Martin Luther King Jr Apartments. Once again, I admired the Wat Lao Dhammacetiyaram (pictured in a prior post) before heading west towards Beacon Avenue and I-5.

I knew I was out of New Holly, when I started noting overloaded utility poles.

Beacon Avenue, with its lovely median strip

is home to the former Van Asselt Elementary (now moved to the former African American Academy; I don't know what this 100 year-old building is being used for),

Beacon Avenue Church of God,

Beacon United Methodist Church (with a sign for Tin-Lanh Giam-Ly Viet-Name Seattle and the attached International Drop-In Center), Aloha Market

and the Macedonia Baptist Church (next door to S.A. Hair Nails and Spa and the 1 2 3 Market).

West of Beacon Avenue, the streets slope down towards I-5 and one of them, Military Road, took me under I-5 to a small office park by railroad tracks.

A sign listed five occupants.

Along Military Road, I spotted a tiny Boeing building and an AGTV Trailer. Homes on this side of Beacon Avenue vary. Many are tidy but some could use a bit of TLC.

Quite a few people were out gardening and some are growing vegetable gardens where streets may have been platted but never built.

Along the way, I passed Wing Luke Elementary School,

a Lake Washington viewpoint

and a tree wearing a knit sweater.

I wished I had walked the hilly western part of my walk first because after 11 miles, the hills were a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment