Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Holly Park, Mid and South Beacon Hill

New Holly is so large that there were still many streets to walk, today, on my third visit. Once again, I was impressed with the attention to details like, underground utilities, sidewalks and curbs, saving trees,

providing green spaces (like this one at John C. Little Sr. Park) and playgrounds, locating garages or parking spots and storage sheds in alleys behind houses,

accommodating P-Patches,

leaving ample room near homes (at least in this section bordering on the Chief Sealth Trail)

and including a Neighborhood Campus with a plaza, a family center and a branch of the Seattle Public Library and classrooms for South Seattle Community College.





New Holly borders on the greenspace of Van Asselt Playground surrounding Van Asselt Community Center.

Across S Myrtle Street, I spotted the old Van Asselt Elementary School  (I'm not sure if the building is currently in use) and the Seattle Police Department's South Precinct building.

Walking west, I left New Holly and entered a residential neighborhood which sloped down towards I-5. I noted some nice gardens before crossing I-5 to get to a few industrial streets between Airport Way and I-5.

 Even here, I was rewarded with unexpected plantings,

artwork

and views of Mount Rainier.

Along the way, I had a view of Lake Washington (from New Holly),

noted a Little Free Library,

a sculpture in Van Asselt Playfield

and artwork in the Beacon Avenue median strip.

This 10.4 mile walk was worth every step.

No comments:

Post a Comment