Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Fauntleroy Neighborhood of West Seattle

I had a few nice chats during today's 7.6 mile walk in the Fauntleroy neighborhood - reinforcing my feeling that West Seattle is one of the friendliest areas of the city.

My walk started at the northeast corner of Lincoln Park where I spotted a gas station and more of the spools of cable I noted on a prior walk - this time I could see that the wires were connected to another utility pole so I guess they are not an art installation.

I got an enticing view of Lincoln Park and know from prior visits that it's another Seattle treasure.

Walking north on 47th Avenue SW, I spotted a little bit of everything - new, modern homes under construction, garden apartments, a single family ranch and the Ballymena cupola. Turning west at Othello, I came upon a charming enclave of beautiful homes and gardens -some with spectacular sound views. I stopped to chat with a charming resident.

Heading west towards Beach Drive, I passed apartments and condos and came to Lowman Beach Park where I noticed the Lowman Beach Community Association Bulletin Board.

Just south of Lowman Beach is the Murray Avenue Pump Station where a number of homes appear to have been taken over by King County for a CSO (combined sewer overflows) control project. A sign notes that King County is building a one-million-gallon underground storage tank on this site. Murals decorated the surrounding fence.

The "Ducky" cottage is just south of the pump station and a narrow street passes homes on the water

where I was greeted by a wooden fisherman (and saw two live men with fishing rods as well as lots of walkers, runners and dog walkers) before ending at Lincoln Park's northern border

which offers beach access and a sign requests that visitors not disturb the resting seal pups (I did not see any today).

Walking north on Beach Drive, I passed many lovely homes on the water and a site where friendly flaggers told me that two retaining walls were being constructed and chatted about my walking stick and the weather.

Walking east towards Fauntleroy, I came to Ballymena and The Kenney Senior Housing.

By the Pelly Place Natural Area, I met a visiting grandma taking her grandchildren to the park. She showed me a walkway to 46th and I spotted a beautiful garden along the way.

Walking around Solstice Park, I came across the Bob Booth Tennis Courts and the Lincoln Park P-Patch.

One of the friendliest walks yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment