Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Alki Neighborhood of West Seattle

There was a negative low tide today and I got to Alki Beach Park when the tide was going out.

I took pictures of a few landmarks I had missed yesterday including the Alki Bathhouse

and a 1/18th size replica of the Statue of Liberty. The Boy Scouts of America gave the original replica to the city in 1952; it was recast in 2004 and the new pedestal and the plaza (Statue of Liberty Plaza) were dedicated in 2008.

By the time I reached Constellation Park Marine Reserve, the tide was probably at its lowest and I couldn't resist being one of the people of all ages who were joining a naturalist on the beach. I spotted jellyfish, starfish, moon snail egg casings and even a crab.

Embedded in the sidewalk on the water side of Beach Drive are medallions which create The Avenue of the Stars.

Tearing myself away from the tide pools, I returned to Beach Drive SW and found myself at the 63rd Pump Station where I came across a sculpture which could not compare to the sea life I had just observed.

Proceeding on to Cormorant Cove Park, I had a good view of the stilts supporting the Harbor West Condos.

Next I passed Andover Place Public Shoreline Access

before arriving at Weather Watch Park where a monument offers educational information about weather words and the history of the area and the park.

Across Beach Drive, I spotted La Rusica Restaurant.

I zigged and zagged my way back to Alki Avenue, walking along streets, some flat and some quite hilly (I noted a few staircases). Homes near the tops of the hills had views and looked expensive. Homes on the flats appeared more modest and, once I was a block away from the water, I felt I could have been in many Seattle neighborhoods. Small cottages were being replaced by multiplexes but there were still comfortable looking older homes.

Along the way, I passed the Homestead

and the Log House Museum (open Thursday to Sunday from 12-4). A short history, posted on the porch, states that the original settlers wanted to make this area a big city and named it New York. The word Alki (meaning "by and by") was added when they realized that would take a long time. When the settlers moved to what is now downtown Seattle, this area became a vacation spot and was known as the Coney Island of the West.

I also passed Kol HaNeshamah synagog

attached to Alki Congregational United Church of Christ.

This area is home to the Alki Community Center,

an entrance to Schmitz Park,

lots of merchants along Alki Avenue

and the patron saint of those who scoop after their dogs.

This was a wonderful 8.1 mile walk and I got to visit a community I had not expected - the tide pools.

No comments:

Post a Comment