Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Downtown and First Hill




















Today, I used a medical appointment as an excuse to go downtown and see the Nick Cave exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum and walk around downtown and on First Hill.

It was raining and I was pretty wet by the time I got to the medical appointment but the exhibit was worth it.

My 6.9 mile walk included the distances walked to and from the bus and in the museum. The exhibit was great and I lucked out by arriving a half hour before a guided tour was scheduled. Marita Dingus gave the tour and then introduced us to some of her artwork on display in an adjacent gallery.

I had walked many of the avenues on an earlier walk so, today, I concentrated on the streets. I have walked many of these streets hundreds of times but not as part of this project so I saw lots of familiar sights. I don't know if I'm more surprised at what has changed or what has remained the same over the years.

I started my downtown walk at the University Street tunnel exit and walked down Seneca viewing Hammering Man and the Harbor Steps. I passed through the retail core noticing hotels, shops, theaters, churches and restaurants before crossing I-5 to First Hill and its medical complexes.

This was a wet but rewarding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment