Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

NE Wedgwood and the Matthews Beach Polar Bear Plunge








My husband and I shortened our New Year's Day walk to view the Polar Bear Plunge at Matthews Beach.

Hundreds of people waited for the countdown to noon and ran into the lake. It was a cold but sunny day and the ground was frozen so it wasn't muddy. There was no breeze so few participants appeared to be complaining about the cold. After the plunge, we were all treated to a display by a fireboat that had been stationed outside the plunge area.

We had started by walking the streets between NE 92nd and 95th Streets from 40th to 44th Avenues NE but wound our way to the nearby Burke Gilman Trail and Matthews Beach to view the plunge. This small section of Wedgwood is quiet with a mix of homes; most look to be from the 40's, 50's or 60's. Some have mountain views, some border ravines.

We only walked about 2.5 miles today but I did get to use the new pedometer a nice friend had given me for Christmas. It worked really well and now I even know how many calories I burned - enough to eat another Christmas cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment