Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Seaview and Fairmount Park Neighborhoods of West Seattle

Trips to weddings have kept me out of Seattle and I was missing my walks so I planned a longish one today in the Seaview and Fairmount Park neighborhoods of West Seattle.  I walked streets between Fauntleroy Way and 50th Avenue SW from SW Juneau Street to just north of the Pelly Place Natural Area.

My 9.1 mile walk through this mostly residential area rewarded me with a coyote sighting. I'm not sure of the date of this sighting map but it indicates that others have seen coyotes near where I was walking. There is a grassy lot for sale on the dead-end section of 47th Avenue SW just north of SW Holly Street and that is where I spotted the coyote. I wasn't quick enough with my camera to get a picture but I'm pretty sure that's what I saw. It appeared to run into the ravine north of the lot.

Houses and gardens on the western edge of this area are impressive

and I could tell that some have nice views

including this one, which is for sale and listed at $750,000.

Houses further east run the gamet from large to small and there are even townhouses along California and what looked like apartments at one corner on Fauntleroy. All are well kept and the streets are tidy.

This neighborhood is home to Sea View Methodist Church (with services in English and Tongan),

Kaleidoscope (which shares space with the West Seattle Church of the Nazarene - pictured in an earlier post),

Morgan Junction Park (which is hosting a festival this weekend)

and some nice views.

Morgan Junction is at the intersection of California, Fauntleroy and Morgan. It is the commercial hub of this stretch of California and includes a Thriftway, a few banks, a Starbucks, Zeeks Pizza, Kokora's Greek Grill and Beveridge Place Pub.

Further north on California, I passed Sub Shop #9, West Seattle Wine Cellars, Little Prague Bakery and Deli and Stitch and Sew Studio.

Along the way, I saw quite a few CAR2GO cars, Don't Dump on Seattle signs,

yard art,

Young at Art on Fauntleroy,

an old wringer washing machine on a porch,

vegetables growing in parking strips

and lovely walking streets.

This walk really got me back into my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment